Jeff Garner is native Northern Californian. Jeff has a B.A. in Theology, received his M.A. in Exegetical Theology from Western Seminary and his Doctorate of Ministry from Gordon-Conwell (2003). Jeff and Julie (wife) have been married for 16 years. They have a girl, Jerusalem and a boy, Jedidiah.
Jeff has pastored San Francisco Lighthouse since 2003. Before serving our San Francisco community Jeff served as Vice-President for Christian Life College, where he lectured as Professor of Spiritual Formation. He served as adjunct professor of Preaching at Urshan Graduate School of Theology (2002-2005). Currently he lectures at Western Seminary as adjuct faculty (Growing Disciples Intentionally and Urban Mission, 2005-present).
Jeff tutors Jerusalem and coahces Jed. Takes his wife out on dates to hole-in-the-wall San Francisco restaurants, and sabbaths his Saturdays hiking through the Pacific Coastal Trails, reading in cafes and creating new forms of art.
- I have been sprayed by a skunk 2 times, different occasions and I think different skunks, although both had a white stripes down their backs and tails that stuck up like Alfalfa.
- I have visited 4 of the worlds continents: got a heat stroke on the Philippines and passed out, a massive and fatale car pileup in Poland, where I was the second car, been to Ethiopia’s Awara plains twice and saw a paranormal wind, stranded on Maui when our airlines went bankrupt, snuck into the Olive Grove at Gethsemane, had dysentery in Mexico City, got the flu while on a cattle drive from Idaho to Nevada, met my brown-eyed sweetheart at a library, we were married a year later.
- I have lived in the Sierra Wilderness in complete isolation from anyone for 6 weeks while I was on a spiritual retreat. I didn’t talk to another human being or see another human being the whole time and I got some cool stories to share with grandkids should i ever have any.
- My wife and two children live downtown San Francisco, in an old synagogue, built in 1910. We hike 70 steps 7-8 times a day with groceries and all. I can watch the moon crest the Transamerica Building from my living room.
- I have three childhood friends; all of us are full-time ministers. We are still the best of friends. Friday nights I share with my Beloved Community stories and games.
- My Bucket List Includes: Sabbatical to Israel when I turn 40 where I spend 40 days in a monastery; hang-gliding over the California coastal cliffs; kite surfing under the golden gate bridge; going to a super bowl where the 49ers play and win; hearing U2 live from the front row; walking the Emmaus Road with some buddies until our ‘hearts burn within us,’, and instead of kicking the bucket i would like to ‘fly the coop’.
- My wife and kids take two vacations a year—one to the snow and one to the beach. I like the mountains and Julie likes the Ocean.
- I think failures are under-appreciated. One of my favorite failures is when I was a youth pastor and told our youth group that if we didnt double in size in one year I would resign. We didnt double, and I didnt resign. That’s kind of like two failures with one stone.
My personal blog is www.beloved.ws. I have a Facebook account as well.